‘Tis the season for all the merrymaking and the eating. And this season isn’t complete without the customary Honey Baked Ham or Hamon as we call it in the Philippines.
The great thing about the honey baked ham is that it is easy to make, and when the feast is over the leftovers can be easily reused for ham sandwiches, pasta sauce, salads or any other recipe that uses ham.
To make honey baked ham, follow the recipe below:
5 pounds cooked ham
2 cups honey (or brown sugar as substitute)
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup whole cloves
Set the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit to preheat.
1. Line your pan with aluminum foil.
2. Stud the ham with the cloves. You can score the ham beforehand in crisscross patterns for presentation.
3. Place the corn syrup, butter and honey in a shallow pan and stir over low heat. This will be the glaze.
4. Brush the glaze over the ham.
5. Put the ham in the pan and place it in the oven. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Baste it every 15 to 20 minutes with the glaze.
That’s it, your very own honey baked ham. It is best served with side dish such as potatoes and corn. Enjoy!