So, are you going to toss your meat into a flying pan before you make any of these three meals?
It doesn’t have to be thoroughly cooked—but just give it a quick browning.
The only exception would be if you’re using a packaged prepared meat that’s already been cooked for your convenience.
Tasty Meal Number One: Stuffed Green Peppers
- 1 pound ground beef chuck, quickly browned in a skillet with grease drained
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can tomato soup (about 10 ounces)
- 1 can water
Slice off the top of each pepper, saving the tops. Carefully scoop out the ribs and seeds inside.
Combine the meat with the onion, rice, milk, egg, salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder. Mix it together well and use a spoon to fill the peppers with it.
Place the tops of the green peppers top down into slow cooker. Place the green peppers on top of them.
Mix the soup and water together and then pour it over the peppers.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Tasty Meal Number Two: Beef and Vegetable Stew
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds lean beef cute into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon margarine or other fat
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or use a clove of fresh garlic
- 4-6 small potatoes, raw, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-15 ounces) beef broth (or make your own with bouillon and water)
Mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Use it to coat the beef cubes and then brown them in a skillet using the margarine.
Add the meat, vegetables, garlic or garlic powder, tomatoes including the liquid, and the broth into the slow cooker. Mix well.
Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours.
Tasty Meal Number Three: Chicken and Dumplings
- 8 pieces of chicken, a mixture of breasts and thighs
- 3 tablespoons of margarine
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped celery, plus a couple of the leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground basil leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, either kind
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen peas
Recipe for basil dumplings: (Mix 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon ground basil. Add 2/3 cup milk. Blend thoroughly and form into balls.)
Brown chicken lightly in the margarine. Put it in the cooker.
Add onion, celery, and garlic. Sprinkle it with flour and mix well.
Add sugar, salt, pepper, basil leaves, bay leaf, and parsley.
Cover and cook on slow for 8-10 hours.
Add peas into mixture, stirring.
Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes
Drop basil dumplings into the mixture
Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until dumplings are done
Feel free to leave a comment below if you tried something different to the above recipe… Enjoy 🙂